Monday, December 20, 2010

December 20, 2010

AN ADVENT MEDITATION
DECEMBER 20, 2010
We control our own shadows.  Being a lefty it’s always a good idea for me to have a source of light on the right side of my desk so that the shadow of my hand does not cover the words I write on the page.

We can make our shadows longer or shorter depending upon our distance from the light.  The closer we are to the light, the shorter are our shadows.  The further away we are from the light, the longer are our shadows.  They cover a wider swath of space.  They hide a larger amount of secrets in their darkness because we’re far away from the light.

If we are attentive to our shadows – and we rarely are unless we’re little children who are curious about such things – we can control them, make them do what we think we want them to do.  For those who love to be in control, life can be like shadows dancing in the light of our own lives.  “Behold: my life is light and see how the shadows dance and delight in the light of my life.”

But the angel said, “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you.”  The Holy Spirit is a divine light shining on the Most High who is the source of all life.  He created the light; he is the author of all life.  To be overshadowed means I cannot control the shadows of my life because the light of the Spirit casts the shadow of the Most High upon my life.

And Mary said, “Let it be done to me according to thy word.  Let this light overshadow me.  May his life have complete power and dominion over my own.  May my life be a shadow dancing in the light of his infinite love bringing the Life of eternal grace and salvation to the world.”

1 comment: